Re: E-mail without attachments/Netscape

Subject: Re: E-mail without attachments/Netscape
From: cklotz <cklotz -at- CSRLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:29:24 -0500

Matt Ion wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 03:21:22 -0500, cklotz wrote:
>
> >> 1. Can you download e-mails without their attachments in Netscape?
> >
> >I have Netscape Communicator 4.01.
> >
> >Click on View/Attachments. The choices are "Inline" and "As Links".
>
> Both options still require downloading the complete message first; the
> only difference is whether they display automatically or not. If the
> mailserver supports IMAP4, this may allow selective downloading of
> attachments (not having actually used IMAP4, I can't say for sure),
> but it's not feasible with POP3.

First, let's clarify our use of terminology. According to "Official
Netscape Communicator 4 Book" by Phil James:
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is defined as: "a protocol
that lets you access your e-mail messages on a remote server
machine instead of retrieving them and viewing them on your own
computer. The most common implementation of IMAP is IMAP4."

Whether or not you can use IMAP depends upon whether your ISP's
mail server supports it. Netscape Communicator 4 supports
both IMAP4 and POP3 protocols.

POP3 is "a protocol which retrieves messages from the e-mail server";
that is, the message is moved, not copied, to my computer's hard
drive.

There appears to be some differences between our definitions of
these terms. Can you cite a reference for your explanation?

With IMAP, Netscape can be configured to keep local copies of your
messages for offline reading, and POP3 can be configured to leave
messages on the server after you retrieve them.

If I understood Sylvia's question correctly, she wanted to download
messages but not any file attachments. I did not understand her
to inquire how to avoid downloading messages.

Carol

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=