Re: SERIOUS: Formal vs. informal organizations

Subject: Re: SERIOUS: Formal vs. informal organizations
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:13:22 -0600

Howdy,

So many people have had such good input here! The company
I work at is very good at giving each department quite a bit
of autonomy (at least, it seems that way). I have worked in a
very didactic department which required strict procedures and
even stricter style guides and I now work in a division which is
very relaxed.

I think strict procedures are part of the CYB (cover your butt)
syndrome. When I work that way, it seems like I am spending
most of my time making sure no one blames me for anything.
This does not foster a good relationship with others.

We sometimes run into the opposite attitude in this department.
Procedures are so lax, we sometimes have trouble getting
anyone to take any responsibility.

It seems like balance is the key in this situation. I think we need
some structure just to make sure the job gets done. However,
rigidity can be demoralizing and time consuming.

Melonie Holliman
Tech Writer
AMD, CPD

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=