Re: FWD: About giving notice...

Subject: Re: FWD: About giving notice...
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:29:08 -0600

Howdy,

This is NOT true in Texas. The last company I had a job with tended
to say "Thanks for the notice, you can leave now." Before I gave notice,
I contacted the employment commission to see if this is legal. In Texas,
it is legal for them to ask you to leave and to not pay you for anything but
the time you have already worked.

Of course, the company shot themselves in the foot by doing this. Many
people did not give notice until their last day. The company I work for now
appreciates getting as much notice as possible. A high-level or sensitive
employee may be walked out, but they will be paid their two weeks if so.
The company wants to keep getting that leeway.

If you need to keep that paycheck coming in, I would check with your
state or regional employment commission before resigning.

Melonie Holliman
Tech Writer
CPD, AMD

> It also ensures your employment up to that date. Once you give
notice, a
> company can't let you go for any reason without violating labor laws.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=