Is there a good illustration / vector drawing program that works well with Word 97?

Subject: Is there a good illustration / vector drawing program that works well with Word 97?
From: Bevan Taborsky <bevan -at- ATTCANADA -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 14:49:37 -0500

I can't seem to find any reference to this question in the archives, so maybe someone could help me:

What is the best, or even a good graphics program that can be used to draw diagrams that can be imported or pasted into Word 97? CorelDraw only works if you save the graphic as a 6.0 version. Saving the graphic as an EPS just results in a poor quality bitmap (any line crispness has been lost). Can you just paste graphics into Word directly? I had little problem pasting Corel 7.0, and Prodraw vector drawings into WordPerfect.

Any help would be appreciated,

Sincerely

Bevan Taborsky