Re: Adobe K2 [InDesign]

Subject: Re: Adobe K2 [InDesign]
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:02:41 -0500

Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM> wrote:

>Is this [K2, aka InDesign] truly supposed to be a PageMaker
>replacement or is it just a new competing product?

InDesign is a new product intended to compete with QuarkXPress. It is not
a replacement for PageMaker, which John Warnock has several times said in
public will continue to be developed. Yesterday at Seybold, Adobe said
that PageMaker will be aimed at the "business" market and InDesign at the
"professional" market.

For a very detailed analysis of InDesign, read "Special Report: Adobe
Expands its Universe", Publish Magazine, April '99, p. 54, and "Inside
InDesign", same issue, p. 55.

For those with the need InDesign claims to serve, it _sounds_ like a pretty
competent program. But since it won't be released until mid-year, there
aren't any independent reviews available to give us a real-world-user's
reaction.

Joe

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=