Re: What am I worth?

Subject: Re: What am I worth?
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:31:33 -0600

Howdy,

All I know about rates is that I usually get what I ask for up to what the
market
will bear (within my experience). I have never had a company say "That's all
your asking, let us give you more." I have had companies say "How much are
you making now? Why should we give you much more?" Underselling myself
has long-term effects. And holding out for a decent income has increased
my own self-worth. Greediness, of course, will always backfire. But wanting
a good pay never has.

Often, a company will post their rate when they post the job (try checking
out
some job sites like monsterboard or net-temps). I have seen jobs posted in
Austin ranging from $17/hr to $38/hr (through agencies) with most posted in
the mid to upper $20s. I have known independant contractors who charge from
$50 to $80. The internet now has so much info out there. Do some research.
Check out the STC salary survey. Look at what the jobs in your area are
going for.

Even beginners deserve a decent salary. Fast food workers in Austin are
making
$7.00/hr. I cannot imagine giving any professional $10.00/hr.

Melonie Holliman
Tech Writer
CPD, AMD

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=