Re: Heading and Title Capitalization

Subject: Re: Heading and Title Capitalization
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:43:00 -0600

It's not quite all a matter of "personal taste."

The idea of capitalizing headers derives from the rule that titles should be capitalized (I think).

Since the rule (Chicago and MLA) regarding titles is to capitalize the first letter of every content word, to deviate might unwarrantedly attract a literate user's attention.

Though I would like to eliminate the use of caps in titles and headers since they are unnecessary now that we have so many neat fonts available with which to differentiate titles and headers, I would stay with convention on titles and deviate on section headers since there is no rule about section headers. This is eminently functional if you are forced to work with an inferior template that doesn't have headers and titles clearly distinguished. It looks neat too.

Leonard Porrello