Re: Laptops, Mac-to-Windows

Subject: Re: Laptops, Mac-to-Windows
From: John Hoppe <johnh -at- RADIONICS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:40:45 -0500

One of my former jobs put me in frequent hand-to-hand combat with PC-to-Mac
problems, specifically in Word.

We use Macs at my company, and most of the earlier tech manuals have
embedded graphics in Word 5 (*sigh*). We sent the manuals out for
translation to a company that uses only PCs (Word 95). When the PC Word
files came back, I could (usually) open them in Word 6 or Word 98 for the
Mac, but almost always the embedded graphics (which had not been opened or
touched by the translators) had become corrupted. Sometimes they had lost
their postscript info and were all jaggy, sometimes they were stretched out
horizontally by about 800 per cent, and even the ones that looked ok on
screen would cause printer errors. I mostly had to go back and manually
copy-and-paste the original pics back in one at a time--a real pain.

So that's my tale of woe; be warned. I'm no longer in charge of that
project, thank god, but just thought I'd testify.

John Hoppe
johnh -at- radionics -dot- com
Technical Writer, Surgical Planning Products
Radionics, Inc.
781-272-1233 x277

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=