Re: Universal Symbol for "Read The Manual"

Subject: Re: Universal Symbol for "Read The Manual"
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:09:54 -0800

Barry Kieffer writes:

> A few weeks ago a program manager asked me if a triangle with an exclamation
> mark inside it was the universal symbol for "Read the manual".
> Unfortunately it is not, I had to inform him.
> That got me to thinking: What is the universal symbol for "Read the manual"?
> If there is not a universal symbol, let me submit the following: [...]
>
> Any other ideas out there?

Well, my personal preference would be Wally peeking over the top of
a cubicle, standing on a stack of manuals (see below :-).

One of my favorite classics was from an Atria source code control
system (now PureAtria, last I checked, after Atria was bought by the
Pure Software (makers of Purify for C programming) folks). The
package came with a bright red sheet of paper. Most of the sheet was
covered with a big black spherical "Bomb" with a lit fuse and below
it, in words an inch high, "read this first!"

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

Dogbert's Technical Support Line:
"Hm, I think I see the problem.
Stack all of the manuals on your chair.
Now stand on top of them.
Now shout 'Does anybody know how to read a manual?'"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=