Differences between user and technician documentation

Subject: Differences between user and technician documentation
From: Tommy Green <tgreen -at- AESBUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:43:25 -0600

I write Maintenance and Service Guides for Compaq server technicians. We
leverage off the Setup and Installation Guide and posters. Our verbage is
written in imperative style. We eliminate the "How great this server is"
text and write it to show how to remove and install.

As to "I say that documentation for the average end-user MUST be written
differently (in tone, format, writing style) than that for technicians. I
need to now explain WHY to some people who cannot grasp that the average
user (who has no technical background) cannot use documentation the same
way
as a technician (who in many cases has knowledge and experience far
surpassing mine)."

I agree, though both our guides are written in imperative style, the tech
manuals are shorter and more to the point, working under the assumption
that the audience (technician) knows what we are talking about and the
procedures don't have to be explained as much.

Write without pay until somebody offers to pay you. If nobody offers within
three years,sawing wood is what you were intended for.

~ Mark Twain ~

Tommy D. Green
AESBUS Technology Group
(281) 587-2247 ext 30