Re: Subject Matters (was English Majors, etc. etc.)

Subject: Re: Subject Matters (was English Majors, etc. etc.)
From: Lisa Ann Miller <lisamil -at- ANET-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:08:42 -0600

Andrew wrote:

"Liberal education is a foundation - but not as an end product. Nobody
would disagree that "cross-discipline" experience is good. It helps
mature perspective and critical thinking skills. Yet this is merely
the beginning of excellence, not the end."

I couldn't (and didn't) agree with you more! If you'll reread my original
post I discuss an apprenticship in which a writer learns the skills you
describe below:

Yet to truly communicate complex technical issues and ideas
effectively you must have intimate, hands-on knowledge of how those
ideas and issues are used in real life. For example, if you are
writing a manual about services in Windows NT, you need hands-on,
intimate knowledge of those services. You need to know how they work,
what they do, and how they are designed.

The ability to analyze new material is invaluable when faced with the
requirement to build the type of technical knowledge base you describe.
This ability, as I have said, English training provides.

I have enjoyed the stir about promoting English as a base training for
technical writing. I'm surprised I haven't heard from any Journalism
majors out there.

Lisa Miller
Technical Writer
St. Louis, Missouri