Re: Subject Matters (was English Majors, etc. etc.)

Subject: Re: Subject Matters (was English Majors, etc. etc.)
From: Paul Strasser <paul -dot- strasser -at- WINDSOR-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:38:53 -0600

I'd like to thank Andrew Plato for his remarks, especially his comments
about writing in the sciences (notably geology).

I've written scientific articles, and the ability to write clearly is only
part of the answer. Instead, what is required is the ability to write
clearly about specific facts and information, presenting them in a logical
manner in order to accurately convey your ideas and conclusions. If you
don't have a knowledge base about the subject, your results are worse than
zero.

I have a friend who has written many books about geology, and the most
demanding part of the process is convincing the editors at the publishing
house (who know zip about geology) to NOT make changes in order to have it
"read" better. On one occasion they tried to change "sinter" to
"travertine" for a few dozen pages for the simple reason that he used
"sinter" too much. The peer review process is much easier than getting all
those English majors at the publisher to understand that sinter and
travertine aren't synonymous.

A few folks have written to this group about entering the science writing
field, even though they have no educational background (and, I suspect, no
practical background) in the sciences that are attractive to them. You MUST
have the knowledge, and to get a job you must demonstrate that you have the
knowledge. A degree in the subject matter helps -- it suggests persuasively
that you have at least an academic understanding. If you don't have a
degree, how else can you show proficiency? Writing examples help, as do
published articles. It will take some nifty explaining to get the recruiter
to appreciate how a layperson accumulated the body of knowledge necessary to
write in the sciences.

(It's not impossible. I know several "amateur" scientists -- birders,
astronomers, and geologist/paleontologists -- who have no formal training in
their hobbies yet have written in these disciplines. Sometimes their
writing is superb.)

I think the same applies to just about all technical writing. If you don't
know communications equipment or pollution control software how do you
demonstrate that you can write effectively on the subject? Ignorance about
a subject matter isn't a strong selling point for one's writing talent.
Perhaps the only way around this is something like, "Here's a User's Guide I
wrote about XXX. I knew squat about XXX when I started the project, but
this Guide got rave reviews from the clients and programmers." But how
often does that happen?

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies
Louisville CO