Re: Freelance vs. Contracting TW?

Subject: Re: Freelance vs. Contracting TW?
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:52:17 GMT

I call myself a technical writer (although on my business cards I'm
"President"). In a resume, it will probably be apparent from the time
frames that the work was freelance. I would definitely not use
"consulting," since that implies that I gave advice or direction at a
macro level.

An aside on "contractor" vs. "freelancer:"

When I started off cold calls with ""I am a contract technical writer
. . . " people would say, "Is that like a freelancer?" So then I
started saying, "I am a freelance technical writer . . . " to which
people replied " Is that like a contractor?" I switched back and forth
a number of times before I dropped the both of them and just became a
plain old technical writer. Based on this experience, I introduce my
company with this text in my brochure:

"Caslon Services Inc. provides technical writing services to companies
with work overloads or limited in-house writing resources."

Maybe you can adapt something like this to your resume.

Barb

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:19:23 EST, you wrote:

>In a resume, if you have been doing odd jobs as a Technical Writer, would it
>be best to label yourself a "Freelance Technical Writer," "Contracting
>Technical Writer," "Consulting Technical Writer," or what?
>
>T[much]IA

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000