Re: USA Today article demands printed documentation

Subject: Re: USA Today article demands printed documentation
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:37:35 -0500

chris wrote:

> With all due respect to Garret, this is just one guy's opinion. I'm not
> saying he's the only one who holds that opinion, but the article doesn't
> give me anything useful one way or the other in terms of decision
> making.

With all due respect to Chris...it may be one guy's opinion, but
apprently, that one guy is a customer of several vendors. To them, he
isn't "just one guy", he's their customer. Does that make his opinion
any less valid?

The article shouldn't "give" you anything toward decision making...only
your users and user community will do that. It simply puts forth the
premise that having or not having documentation should be an issue more
important than cost, like the environment it is used in or the situation
it is used in.

> So if your goal is to get Aunt Martha up and running on her Windows '95
> computer, a big old bunch of paper documentation probably isn't a bad
> thing. But not everyone is Aunt Martha.

But some are, or they might be my mother (who just came online 6 months
ago), or they are my friend's mom (who 70 years old, never had a
computer, and just bought a screaming 300mhz portable and an online
account). Do you give documentation because some are or do you omitt the
stuff because some aren't? I go for the lowest denominator. I can always
disregard what I don't need, but I cannot make up what I need but don't
get.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=