Re: How do you respond to job ads/salary?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads/salary?
From: Erin Kampf <ekampf -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:06:02 -0800

I'm having problems with this one myself.

As you may know from my previous posts, I am trying to relocate from
Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles. I hesitate to supply my salary history
since my salaries have all been in Canadian dollars (as well as for
other reasons). You may be aware that the Cdn dollar is worth around
0.55 to the US dollar these days. So let's say my salary is $40K Cdn,
that's not much more than $20K US. If the potential employer does the
math, it doesn't do me a lot of favors.

I have been explaining to potential employers (in interviews) that
according to the research I have done, $40K Cdn equates to around $40K
US, for example. From the STC salary survey of the US and Canada, it
would seem that this is the case (depending on your location).
However, I wonder if they think I'm just trying to scam my way into a
higher salary range.

And of course, if you factor in the cost of living in Los Angeles, my
salary history means nothing. I have only responded to one job posting
that asked for salary history (because it sounded like a great job). I
just listed my salaries with no indication as to what the currency
was. Maybe they won't realize...

Best,
Erin Kampf
ekampf -at- yahoo -dot- com