Re: How do you respond to job ads/salary?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads/salary?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 08:27:43 -0600

Maurice King wrote:

> The difference between locations definitely would torpedo
> the validity of salary levels. I've been asked by companies
> in California what I earn in North Carolina. News flash: the
> cost of living varies from one area to the next, even within
> a given area.

In this situation, assuming you wanted the job and were willing to
discuss your salary history, I'd just run it through a few salary
comparison calculators and say "what I made in NC was comparable to $X
in this part of California."

> The person interviewing me looked at me in horror and asked,
> "You'd leave a job if somebody else offered you more money?"
> Would I? Would any of you?

Oh, the shame. :-D Actually, I'd never take a job *only* for more money.
I have to enjoy the work too, not just the money that comes with it.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=