Re: If there is such a shortage of good tech writers...

Subject: Re: If there is such a shortage of good tech writers...
From: "Donald R. Stovicek" <usadad -at- RAEX -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:02:44 -0500

Excellent question, Dick.

I have been a captive tech writer for 30 years. In all that time, I sincerely
believe I could have performed 99% of my functions from my home. That includes
many years before fax machines and the Internet. Now, unless a product is in
the development stage and requires some hands-on interaction, I see no reason
for a tech writer to be on location.

When you consider it from an employer's standpoint, having contract writers
working out of their home would be far more cost-effective. They would not have
to provide an office, phone, computer, etc. The biggest benefit though, I
believe, is it would give them a much larger field of candidates to select
from. I don't know many writers that are willing to relocate to Podunk Springs
for three months to live out of a suitcase while maintaining a home residence.
I would, however, have no problem spending a few days in Podunk Springs getting
to know contacts, sources of information, etc.

Having contract tech writers working out of their homes would seem to be a
win-win scenario for both employer and employee. I don't see a downside.

Would love to hear from people who are in hiring positions and who insist the
tech writer be on locations. Why?

Don Stovicek
Senior Editor
usadad -at- raex -dot- com
http://members.tripod.com/~LaffsOnUs

Dick Schellens wrote:

> why is it so hard to get off site work?
>
> One might think that companies would become more flexible as their
> needs for technical communications grow.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Dick Schellens
> Lyme, NH
>
> dicksc -at- gdt1 -dot- com