Re: Linking To Graphics-WORD

Subject: Re: Linking To Graphics-WORD
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:25:38 -0500

Sean
> "Red Xs" is a known Word bug. Word SR-1 was supposed to fix
> this problem,
> amongst others, but it did not entirely address the issue.

In my experience, the red X is a symptom of several possible conditions and bugs.
I had a panic the other day when several different documents suddenly got the red X at the same time.
What happened was that an unrelated program had barfed temporary files all over my C drive, leaving almost no free space. This took my a while to notice, because I keep all my documents on my D drive, which had a bit over a gig free. Anyway, Word was apparently trying to use the C drive to store some of its own temporary files in order to show graphics, and, since it failed to store the temporary files, it showed the red X instead. An error message explaining that drive C is full would have been nice, but we are talking about Microsoft here, so I'm just glad there wasn't any permanent damage. Cleaning up drive C fixed them all.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=