Re: Appalled, eh?

Subject: Re: Appalled, eh?
From: "Barbara A. Tokay" <batokay -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 08:32:09 -0500

Andrew--

What is your goal in hiring people--to provide services to your clients? to
service your ego? I join Matt Horn in being appalled at your attitude and I'll
go one better: I'm also appalled by your lack of business sense.

If you don't feel an applicant cuts it--don't hire the person. If you hire a
person after telling him/her you will pay less than the going rate because of
"failure to follow directions," what are the chances this person will perform
well for you?

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for disaster. Small contractors depend
heavily upon the quality and loyalty of their employees. I would say there's a
very good chance that someone you hire under such circumstances will not only
do a bad job for you but may actually take business away from you at a later
date. If you treat people badly, you can expect them to return the favor.

As for cutting costs by offering this person less money than the going rate,
the saying "you get what you pay for" certainly applies.

I've had a small consulting business myself for the last 12 years. At least 75%
of my work today involves "clean up" projects--I'm brought in to fix up messes
created by clients who decided to pay another contractor less than the going
rate! Needless to say, the client pays me a lot more to "rescue" a project than
to do it right the first time.

I'm responding to this thread because I think it's important for people on all
sides of the hiring equation to think about quality. Your clients should be
aware of your hiring practices--they could very well compromise the quality of
services you provide. Prospective employees should be wary of working for your
company because your attitude says: "I'll treat you right if I feel like it."

I think you shot yourself in the foot on this one. IMHO, of course.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=