Re: Style Manuals

Subject: Re: Style Manuals
From: "Barbara A. Tokay" <batokay -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:03:42 -0500

I believe the issue here isn't what certain elements are called but whether
technical writers are communicating clearly about how a software package is
used! Too many "help" systems--on line, off line, in the box, out of the box,
in the manual, on the CD-ROM, on the floppy--are simply laundry lists of
"elements." As in: "Click [on] the help button." "Did that answer your
question?" "Sorry, there is no further information about this topic available.
For additional information, please purchase the $1 fax-by-the number service
or the $2 million telephone unhelpful service..."

Does this list ever address this sort of real-life issue--as in, how to
document a poorly designed, malfunctioning software package?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=