Re: Another word on Word

Subject: Re: Another word on Word
From: CASSIN Gilles <GCassin -at- MEGA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:09:44 +0100

What you could do is :
Number each chapter beginning with page 1 (1-1, 2-1, ...). This is the
first thing I did when I began to edit documents for my company. This
type of numbering proves to be more helpful for users ; for instance, in
the index, they can easily identify if the reference correspond to the
relevent chapter. Moreover, it allows you to avoid scratching your head
as whether to add a paragraph on page 3 and then have to recompile the
TOC and the index then reprint the whole stuff.
Word allows you to generate TOCs and Indexes with reference to several
documents. (This is the purpose of RD fields.)
An important thing to know is that, when referring to another document,
you should edit the reference Word inserted, since it is an absolute
path. You can use relative paths, (..\folder\x.doc instead of
\\Server1\folder\x.doc) if you take care to have the path root as your
current folder. (You change the current folder with the open command,
selecting the proper folder the clicking cancel.) This is also true for
images referenced in external files.