Re: advanced Robohelp question

Subject: Re: advanced Robohelp question
From: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:01:48 -0500

BillDB Writes:

> I guess I'm not quite following you. Are you using the same topic IDs
each
> time, or are you creating new ones with each file? I guess you could get
> pretty fancy with WBA or WordBasic (depending on which version of Word
> you're using), but I'm not quite clear how the files actually differ from
> each other.
>
> Could you provide a little more detail?
> Gil writes:
>
> > Here's the question: Is there anyway to create an automated process so
> > that
> > all I have to do is tell robohelp to create a document called FOO and
> > it will create four topics called FOO Topic A, FOO Topic B, FOO Topic
C,
> > and FOO Topic D. Then under each topic it will place the appropriate
topic
> > X boilerplate text and finally link the four topics in pre specified
ways,
> > noting that the linked four interlinked topics each have the topic
> > variable name FOO tacked on before the appropriate topic.
a little more explanation:

I'm using different topic IDs with each file (document) -

So we have:

>ex:
>Document: Intro Screen

(topic id) Intro Screen Topic A
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic B
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic C

(topic id) Intro Screen Topic B
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic C
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic D

(topic id) Intro Screen Topic C
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic D
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic A

(topic id) Intro Screen Topic D
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic A
(text) link to Intro Screen Topic B

and lets say there's another screen called Login Screen, so It would be set
up as:

>Document: Login Screen

(topic id) Login Screen Topic A
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Login Screen Topic B
(text) link to Login Screen Topic C

(topic id) Login Screen Topic B
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Login Screen Topic C
(text) link to Login Screen Topic D

(topic id) Login Screen Topic C
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Login Screen Topic D
(text) link to Login Screen Topic A

(topic id) Login Screen Topic D
(text) Topic A boiler plate text
(text) link to Login Screen Topic A
(text) link to Login Screen Topic B

but notice that the Topics A - D boiler plate text is the same for the
Login Screen as for the Intro Screen.
Ideally I'd like to type in the Screen Name once and have some script set
up to create the first four topics with the correct links.

And not to harp on this and take up list bandwidth, but if I can figure
this out, I can probably save myself a week's worth of work and monotony.

What is "WBA?"
thnx

Gil Yaker
gyaker -at- csc -dot- com