Using portions of screen shots

Subject: Using portions of screen shots
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPS-CANADA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:53:25 -0800

Good morning,

I'm wondering how other tech writers address the following issue. Sometimes
within our documentation, I want to use only a portion of a screen shot
(say, of a window). Sometimes the image I cut out of the screen shot doesn't
have clearly identified edges. For example, if you cut out part of a screen
shot from the Control Panel (and the Control Panel is set to display large
icons) then that image might have white borders (if your window background
colour is white). Some manuals use a dashed line around the edge of a
graphic to indicate its border, and that it is only part what's actually
being displayed. Other's simply leave it as is, with the graphic and the
document page's background blending together.

I hope that's clear. What do you do? Thanks. DB.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=