Re: Nasty Surprise: The Story of High-Tech Jobs

Subject: Re: Nasty Surprise: The Story of High-Tech Jobs
From: "J. David Hickey" <jdhickey -at- SYMPATICO -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:01:27 -0800

Greetings!

> In the interim, I went back to job hunting, and despite all the ballyhoo about too many jobs and not enough persons to fill them, I noted that

[...]

> Then again I experienced the Hurry Up and Wait Syndrome; days, weeks went by, and no sign of anything kicking over.

I'm going through a bit of the same deal. It's been over a month since my last contract ended and I have yet to find a solid lead on a new contract. When the hype rants and raves about too-many-jobs, I guess they're not talking about contract work.

I've been on a few interviews and received some positive feedback, but nothing in a contract vein. It's always "We'd have something for you if you'd accept permanent work, but we have nothing for contractors". Well pooh-pooh on me.

I think the market in my area (Montreal, Quebec) supported contractors a few years ago, but now there seems to be a reversing trend back to permanent-type jobs.

I'm going to keep Hurry-up-and-Waiting for awhile, but when the last kidney is sold to pay the rent, I may have to bite the bullet and hang-up the company for a while. I just know that when I do this, that's when the calls for contracts are going to come in.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey
jdhickey -at- sympatico -dot- ca
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

514-482-8702
Montréal, Québec

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
---

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=