Re: Centralizing Online Documentation

Subject: Re: Centralizing Online Documentation
From: "Nagai, Paul" <pnagai -at- VISA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:54:35 -0800

> From: Leona L. Magee-Dupree[SMTP:leona -dot- magee-dupree -at- CCBCC -dot- COM]
> What is the best way to centralized online documentation for an entire
> company other than buying your own server or CD tower? What's the best
> tool? Any suggestions?

Tough to answer without more information.

What kind of online documentation (Win-Help, HTML, PDF, other more
proprietary-less open formats like IBM BookManager, etc.)?

Is your company all at one site? Or are there remote sites with access speed
limitations?

Documentation you develop? Or vendor documentation? Courseware? Tutorials?

With no server or CD tower, it gets pretty hard. Could you have users e-mail
requests and hire someone (or assign someone) to reply? That makes a small,
$2,000 server look pretty cheap to me, though. Could you distribute from a
mainframe (which is just a giant server you may already own).

Here's a question I have on this topic: How to you organize, track by
product, advertise, catalog, expire, etc. a large, centralized library of
vendor documentation in multiple formats? (Both electronic and paper ... but
mostly interested in the online portion.) Is anyone doing this? How are you
tracking installed software (and versions) in test, pilot, production, and
legacy environments?

------
Paul Nagai

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=