Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: WPAINE <WPAINE -at- LANIER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:26:29 -0500

Anon

You are worried about your replacement and want to ensure that
whomever it is can do the work. Understandable.

Snip>>...but the main thing I am worried about is my replacement. My
boss has almost no doc experience and, although a nice person, doesn't
really understand writers or writing. He asked where I would suggest
finding a replacement and I suggested using a headhunter to bring in a
"real" tech writer, especially since there is someone with no
experience to train and none of the managers have doc experience. He
turned this down flat, saying that the last tech writer they'd gotten
through headhunters didn't work out at all. <<Snip

IMHO I hear that you have made your recommendation and it was turned
down "flat." At what point do you stop fighting battles for things
that you are not involved with anymore?

Your recommendation was a good one. It was rejected. You have an
opprotunity to comment in your exit review about things that
contributed to your leaving, not winning a point. You have chosen to
change comapnies and your alligance has changed. You are no longer
responsible to your old companies future. You are not part of the
managment team anymore.

Don't get me wrong! I recommended my replacement in my last company
and have been a resource for her for months in areas that she is weak,
so I understand and agree with the feelings that you have about
wanting the continuity of good writing and quality. But the battle to
get your manager to go the headhunting route is not really your
battle.

So, (again), IMHO cut your ties with the issue and begin putting
effort into leaving your documents and procedures in the best order
possible to make your replacment's life easier and begin looking
forward to your new challanges in your new position.

Bill Paine
Sr. Technical Writer
Lanier Worldwide
Wpaine -at- lanier -dot- com

"Just because I am crunchy and may taste good with ketchup, I do not
eschew the affairs of dragons and other such beasts."

Good sources for information about virus myths and hoaxes are:
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=