Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: Peter Taylor <sector_five -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:30:23 PST

>1. Have you told your boss that you would stay if they would raise
>your pay to a level exceeding your current offer? You wouldn't need to
>worry about a replacement.

I'm going to have to disagree with this advice. You have to stick to
your decision to pursue another opportunity outside of your current
company. If you threaten your boss with leaving unless they give you
more money, more responsibility, more respect, etc. you are handing over
hard evidence that you are no longer committed to the company. If you
should accept a deal of this kind from your employer, the ball is now in
their court - they are paying you a few extra dollars short-term which
in turn allows them the luxury of time to find a suitable replacement
for you.

I was faced with this situation at this time last year. I had a job that
paid pitifully, but I had been there for four years and I considered
just about everyone in the studio (around 30 people) to be my friend. We
all hung around together, played Nintendo and Quake after work, played
paintball on the weekends, etc. I was presented with the opportunity to
make much more money at a different company and I considered using that
offer to force my boss to give me a raise because I really wanted to
continue working there. However, I knew that if money was what I
wanted, I had no choice but to leave. My boss is ex-army and he doesn't
respond all that well to direct threats. There is a happy ending though
- I still see my old co-workers all the time and we still do a lot of
the same things we used to do.

My old boss respected my decision and we have still have an excellent
relationship. If I should ever decide to return (if they change their
compensation policy :) I could do so at any time. What's that old saying
'bout burning bridges?

Peter Taylor.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=