Subject: Summary: Problem accessing Internal web site
From: Dina Marroquin <DMarroquin -at- FRXSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:04:20 -0700

A while back (12/11/98) I requested information to a problem I had with
accessing our internal documentation web site. Mainly, I tried to access it
by typing the address in IExplorer, but kept being sent to the root
directory where I could not access any of the files. At first everyone here
just assumed it was my machine being quirky (which it definitely is). But as
more individuals here tried to access the site, a few ran into the same
problem. Definitely not acceptable. The whole point of having our docs
available on our intranet was to decrease the number of requests we receive
for docs.

I received quite a few good suggestions but alas none of them helped me
solve the problem. However, today our dillegent IT person found the answer.
Apparently it's a Windows 95 problem which is strange because it appears
that we are all running the same version. I have a feeling it's an IE/Win95
problem. Another Microsoft oddity. Anyway, turns out the problem had to do
with our lengthy share name. It had more than 12 characters which the OS had
trouble reading. After we changed the path from /Documentation to /Doc it
worked. Strange.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Dina

Dina L. Marroquin
Technical Writer
FRx Software Corporation