Re: Converting of styles from Word to a FM template

Subject: Re: Converting of styles from Word to a FM template
From: Michael Bryans <michaelb -at- HCL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:07:24 -0600

Shannon writes: "Mike, I don't know about FrameMaker, but I do know that in
Word you can write a macro (or VBA script)..."

I don't think this answers Mike's question. It only converts the original
Word document into (yet) another Word document. You are still left with the
tedious Word to FrameMaker conversion. Most technical writers here paste the
Word content as plain text in the FrameMaker document then manually apply
the appropriate FM tags. I have not found a way around this process.

FrameMaker will also paste Word 97 content as either RTF or by preserving
its formatting via a link to the original. However, this can produce
surprising and unusual results depending on your FrameMaker page/text flow
layout.

Quadralay WebWorks Publisher (http://www.quadralay.com/), a (FrameMaker
source to online) converson tool, in its next release (according to their
Technical Support) will convert RTF to various output formats. However, I
don't know if this includes taking the RTF version of Word documents and
porting them directly to FM. Consider contacting Quadralay.

I guess this doesn't answer Mike's question either. Are there any other
ideas out there?

Michael
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=