Re: The mushroom syndrome

Subject: Re: The mushroom syndrome
From: John Gilger <jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:09:17 -0800

It has been my experience that you have to aggressively seek membership
on the development teams if you want to avoid the mushroom syndrome.

Most engineers and programmers I have met are happy to have a writer on
the team even if you just start out <tc-heresy> taking the meeting notes
</tc-heresy>. Actually, taking the notes of the meetings gives you a
good start on developing your manuals because you get to record why the
decisions were made. Unfortunately, they don't usually remember to ask
for a writer on their team. Be proactive.

As the project continues, you are a known entity and a valued member of
the team. This gives you easy access to the key SMEs (usually the
busiest individuals).

The moral of the story: Volunteer to help early in the project. Show
that you can grow with out fertilizer. Otherwise, sit back in your
office and wait for the next surprise load of fertilizer.

John

The mushroom syndrome, eh? I like it.

Is there any other way to work? Seems to be the management style
of choice
here. I know I'm not home free until the manual is actually
published--whoa, even then--what am I thinking--I've had them
say, oh, that
part right there, it's wrong--we changed the software--oh, I
guess we
didn't tell you . . .

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=