Re: Double quality standard by t-writers (was: Front Page Fu

Subject: Re: Double quality standard by t-writers (was: Front Page Fu
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:18:00 -0600

This double standard isn't tech writer based, but actually affects all
consumers. We wouldn't put up with our other devices behaving like our
computers, but we're always willing to make excuses for anything computer-
related.

We could degenerate from here to specific company-bashing, but that's not
necessary; we hold computers in general to a lower standard of quality than
any other consumer device, including ones which are far more complicated
(and which, on their own, contain computers).

Think about it. If your car fails to start once in a year, you get it
fixed. If it stops while you're driving it once, period, it's either fixed
or disposed off. But if your computer crashes every day, you simply mumble
a little and go on.

Our tools are as bad as we allow them to be. We don't complain, so they
don't get fixed. It's that simple.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224