Re: screen dumps in books

Subject: Re: screen dumps in books
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:14:02 +0100

Sean,

There is no need at all to retype the screen information. When you access
the software through a terminal program, you can create a session log file
which contains everything of your session. You them take this file and cut
and paste the appropriate sections.

This was what I did some years ago with a time control software running on
a PDP 11.

For the extra long lines, you'd have to use a narrow font; maybe you'd have
to create it from a standard width one.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>They don't want a screen shot (I offered). They want the screen retyped
>into the book in such a way that lines wrap as shown on the screen.
>Besides, why need I reproduce on paper what the user sees on their
>terminal under normal circumstances? I am not sure that screen shots are
>of much value in helping get the message across. Why cannot I just
>provide text that describes prompts and typed responses because the
>typed responses is what the user needs to operate the software? To set
>these prompts and responses off from regular text, I see no problem
>using fixed-width fonts. Why must the lines run out to 132 characters
>and wrap exactly as on-screen? I offered to make the book landscape,
>which I think would accommodate the requirement pretty well, but that
>wasn't wanted.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=