Re: screen dumps in books

Subject: Re: screen dumps in books
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:47:34 -0500

Thanks.

>>>The important part of your question, however, is how to get this
>>>across to "programming" -- somehow, you've gotten yourself into a
>>>situation where you are not viewed as the expert. You need to
>>>establish yourself as the authority here, otherwise "programming"
>>>is going to walk all over you.

Yes. I agree. I have been here maybe eight weeks. This situation, I
believe, was made for me. I address some of these issues by asking
"programming" questions like "why do you think that?" After
"programming" pauses for an extended period, as they do, I explain why I
have a different view. This, I notice, has caused some chin dropping.
However, I really do not want to be entirely antagonistic. I haven't yet
offered an opinion on their programming, structure, or code.

If anyone else has advice on helping me turn this corner, I'd appreciate
it. Yes, I have bought beers for key programmers and do participate in a
network game or two at lunch--as well as table tennis, which is where I
schmooze "Sysop."

Sean

>>>-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
>>>sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com
>>>
>>>The _Guide_ is definitive.
>>>Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

42. I read that book, those books, twenty years ago (has it really been
that long?). I remember waiting for the next in sequence to be published
(the fourth and fifth didn't do much for me, though). Anyway, I still
remember them clearly and now I must go buy them.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=