Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 13 Jan 1999 to 14 Jan 1999

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 13 Jan 1999 to 14 Jan 1999
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:28:09 -0600

> From: Automatic digest
> processor[SMTP:LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU]

Gil,
Recognition on consulting is poor. HR can't tell much about the
breadth and depth of your experience without knowing the companies with
which you worked. If the experience you gained on the contract job is not
pertinent, don't even include it. If it is relevant, use the job on your
resume. Make one minor change: Use the Actual Company in the heading and put
a parenthetical statement that this work was done through XYZ consulting.
Then proceed to describe your job as usual:

Frank W Jones, Inc. Jan. 1998 to July 1998
(Work done through XYZ Consulting)
Work description.

If you have worked several contracts through XYZ Consulting, put
their name in the heading and follow with a paragraph headed by each company
for which you contracted:

XYZ Consulting 1991 to Present
(Company provides software development services)

Frank W Jones, Inc. Jan. 1998 to July 1998
Work description.

American Airlines 1995 to 1997
Work description

My husband and I have our own Mom and Pop consulting firm (15
years). The above formula has always worked for us and been well-received.

>Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:48:47 -0500
> >From: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- CSC -dot- COM>
> >Subject: quick resume question etc...
> >
> >While in between permanent jobs, I had a short job that assignment that a
> >consulting company set me up with. On my resume, do I put down the
> >consulting company, or the actually firm that I did the work for? I think
> >as it stands, I used the consulting company for the heading of the entry
> on
> >the resume and put the firm that I did the actual work for in the text of
> >the job description. Something tells me this is wrong. Any ideas?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=