Re: questions to ask during an interview (long)

Subject: Re: questions to ask during an interview (long)
From: Anne Halsey <Wrdfinesse -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:03:59 EST

First, thanks for the reminder to check the raycomm site.
I always forget how much really valuable information Ray and
Deb have collected ...

As an interviewee, I always ask the following types of questions
(these are presented in no particular order):

- What type of support infrastructure is in place to support my
development efforts? (This is a good way to learn whether the
company has graphics, production, and translation/localization
staff in place ... or whether you'll be schlepping to Kinko's at
2 am to get media produced.)

- How does the pubs group handle updates to existing documents/
information? (You'd be surprised at what a "door-opener" this one
can be. And if you're a contractor, don't be surprised if your
interviewer
tries to get a bit of free professional advice out of this one.)

- What is the corporate attitude toward ongoing professional
development? What is the department's attitude toward ongoing
professional development? (I've worked at places where the stated
corporate goal was to support the professional development of
the individual, but where the pubs department's leadership was
fearful of being shown up by individuals pursuing education opportunities
that surpassed his own.)

- On a similar note, I always ask if there is an annual budget for
seminars/conferences. If so, I follow up with questions concerning
how management determines who is allowed to attend such events.
(If you're going into a large pubs group, the budget is $2000, and the
"who gets to go" decision is made based on seniority, you can pretty
much figure you won't be attending any conferences for several years
unless you pay for it yourself.)

- What type of usability testing are you doing on your products? Documents?
Processes? (If you get some stuttering and stammering here, you know
you may be in for a rough ride if one of your interests is usability.)

- How much time do the writers (or developers) spend with the customers?
How do you determine that your products/services are meeting your
customers' needs? (This can be a another door-opener to some pretty
lively discussion. I've seen this one lead into pretty lengthy discussion
about audience, needs, and task analysis. Again, contractors, don't be
surprised if this one also has your interviewer trying to get some free
professional advice.)

- How much input do the writers have into usability and user interface design
issues? (This is a good one for finding out what your role will be on a
development effort. If the answer is "none at all," you can bet that your
role is less involved than you may prefer.)

FWIW,

Anne Halsey
wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=