Re: Interview questions (Was re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe)

Subject: Re: Interview questions (Was re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe)
From: Linnea Dodson <tscribe -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:47:58 PST

I agree with John Sullivan, who wrote:

>in an interview I'd prefer to
>handle serious, intelligent questions, not play psychological mind
games.

However, "what's your biggest weakness" doesn't necessarily come under
the mind-game heading; I have used that question as an opportunity to
look a prospective employer straight in the eye and say something like
"I am an excellent writer but a lousy programmer, so if you want someone
who writes code, look for someone else." This isn't a
strength-disguised-as-weakness or any other mind game, it's a sheer
statement of preference. I won't waste my time or an employer's trying
for a job I won't fit into.

That said, does anyone have a response for the real mind-trip question,
"What do you like to do outside of work?" also phrased as "what are your
hobbies and interests?" I never know what to say to that, particularly
since I'm usually trying to suppress the automatic response "why? That
doesn't affect my work."

Nea
who likes Pamela's answer about Wesley Snipes!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=