Re: STC ( 2B || !2B )

Subject: Re: STC ( 2B || !2B )
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:45:56 -0800

Idunno. Maybe it's me. I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes.
But I've been following this STC thread and all I see are comments
like:

"I don't think the pubs are useful"
"I get more out of free pubs"
"I don't get my $-worth"

And most of these comments appear to be from writers who are
generally considered to be senior in our profession. And so
here I am, a senior writer -- okay, well *old* anyway! ;-) --
and I'll tell you what I get out of my STC membership.

I get to go to meetings and network with my peers.

I get to write articles for my chapter newsletter, my sig
newsletters, and Intercom.

I get to write papers and present them at conferences. I get
to *go* to the conferences because "presenting papers at
professional conferences" is one the career objectives on
which my job evaluation is based.

I get to share my 15+ years of experience with those who
follow behind me, so I get to influence the profession and the
way in which it grows.

I get to see what other writers are doing and to learn from them.

And, y'know... I feel as if I *get* plenty in return for my dues.
So, just maybe, if you don't feel as if you get quite enough, you
otta try to give back a little. When it comes to ROI, seems to me
you get a lot more R if you put in a little I once in a while.

But then again, sometimes I'm a little slow to catch on.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=