Re: Writing for the touchy American?

Subject: Re: Writing for the touchy American?
From: Richard Guziewicz <rkg -at- WORLDNET -dot- FR>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:27:00 +0100

[SNIP]
> I am wondering: For writers working outside the US, are there analogous
> anecdotes and advice about how to write for the US market? Are there
things
> that writers have to watch out for to avoid offending touchy Americans?
Are
> Americans considered tolerant of everything? Or do you guys not care? 8^)

This is a vast question that draws all sorts of answers, depending on the
target audience and sector of activity involved. I would say that, all
technical matters being put aside, one main concern is with the armies of
lawyers and the legal issues involved.

Here's one recent example:

A French client is launching a new gardening accessory in the U.S. The
accessory instructions suggest that end users cut off a small bit of
plastic tubing, if they wish, for aesthetic reasons.

The instructions state that the user should use a sharp knife or scissors,
if he or she wants to cut off the piece of tubing.

Believe me, there was lots of discussion with the importer's legal experts
about the inherent legal risk involved with using the term "sharp knife or
scissors". The gist, only slightly parodied:

Don't mention sharp knife or scissors at all, to avoid trouble if someone
is unable to cut the tube (knife not QUITE sharp enough?), and harms him or
herself with a blunt instrument. And what about people who have neither
knife nor scissors? --duh?.
Do mention the sharp knife and scissors, otherwise someone might try to cut
the thing with their teeth and possibly damage expensive bridgework, or try
using a butter knife.
Mention the knife and scissors, but leave out "sharp", because sharp is
purely subjective (again, what about the guy who tries to use a butter
knife to do the job?).
Use the words "sharp object or instrument" (saber? razor blade?)
Not mention the tube at all since Americans won't care about aesthetic
issues concerning a bit of tubing.
Redesign the article for the U.S. market.

And so on ... and on ....

The final decision was keep the sharp knife and scissors ... and to take
out more insurance against possible lawsuits.

--
Richard Guziewicz
Corporate Communications Consultant

Villa Cabaneres - Montplaisir
F-82370 Corbarieu, France
Tel. & Fax/modem: +33 (0)5 63 67 82 40
Email: rg -dot- consulting -at- worldnet -dot- fr
ICQ# 13102060

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=