Re: What's the point

Subject: Re: What's the point
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:02:33 -0800

Hi All

I'm new to the list and have been reading this thread about point sizes.

I've been doing typesetting for more than 27 years. While I do not know
the origin of this archaic unit of measurement, I do know that the point
size includes ascender, decender and leading designed into the typeface.
While originally 72 points did not equal quite an inch, since the mid to
late 70s and the advent of computers and desktop publishing, the outcry
from the "nonprofessional typesetter" has created a general consensus
that 72 points now do equal an inch.

Just because there is an agreement on 72 inches equalling an inch, this
by no means means that a 10pt letter in one font is equal to a 10pt
letter in another font. All fonts are not created equal. Since the size
includes ascender, decender and the leading designed into the typeface
(white space) between the lines of type, the proportions can differ
greatly. There are also those designers who essentially put an 11pt
letter on a 10pt slug. (Slug is the old term for a single letter when the
letters were individual and in lead.) This creates a font that is very
difficult to read when set 10/10 (which means 10pt letter on 10pt
leading) And then there are the designers of Universe who I am told
designed the face for the back of such form as insurance policies, they
put a smaller, slightly condensed letter on a 10pt slug so they could say
that it fits the rules about no smaller type than 10pt, but they could
still set it tight and get a lot of copy in. - And then they had the
printer screen it for less readability.

In general, point refers to a vertical measurement and pica refers to a
horizontal measurement. While typesetters know that there are 12 points
per pica, we would never call a 3-inch line of type a 36-point line of
type, we most assuredly would call it an 18-pica line of type.

Hope this helps. If there are questions, you can aske me personally.

Happiness, joy & laughter to all

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter -- Making Your Business
Easier since 1972 -- Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs.
& portraits from photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business
Forms, Manuscripts, etc. -- email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=