Re: FW: thoughts on color

Subject: Re: FW: thoughts on color
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:49:53 -0800

I think the point someone (forgotten who) was trying to make was that
color for color's sake is not the answer. When everything is in color,
then color ceases to be an attention grabber. Even printing hardcopy
docs on a soft colored paper is a big help. Was the study of hardcopy
or computer-based? I find that I dislike web pages with a stark white
background because of the glare.

BJ

Lynn Perry wrote:

> > >Just because someone is drawn to a color document, even if the
> > information=
> >is conveyed just as effectively as black and white, should we use color =
> >when it's not necessary?
>
> A study was presented at a conference on user interface design (ACM's
> SIGCHI). Two groups of folks were presented the same information. The group
> whose presentation included color provided higher ratings for information
> understanding and organization.
>
> These results make me wonder if using color is ever "not necessary." Color
> blindness and cultural meanings of color aside, it's hard to ignore.
>
> C. Lynn Perry
> clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
> Opinions expressed are mine alone
> Wall Data Incorporated, Seattle WA
> Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=