FrameMaker VS PageMaker VS Quark - Opinions?

Subject: FrameMaker VS PageMaker VS Quark - Opinions?
From: Tom <eagles -at- CONNECTION -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 02:35:14 -0500

I currently use FrameMaker, and find it meets most
of my needs. Some aspects of the software are
quirky and seem to be less than ideal in terms of
intuitiveness. The final product is usually up to
snuff, but getting there is a battle. My
department is considering all possibilities,
including switching to Macs if they'll make us
more productive. On that note, I'll start my
little fact gathering tour with the following
request:

I would welcome responses (on the list or private)
to the following:

1. What can PM do that FM can't? ...What can FM
do that PM can't?

2. What can Quark do that Frame can't? ... that
PM can't?

3. What can PM do that Quark can't? ...What can
FM do that Quark can't?

4. For general purpose tech writing and page
layout and design:
Which tool is better on the PC? Which tool is
better on the Mac?

5. Which of the 3 has better import/export
capability for graphics/text formats?

6. Is there anything that makes one or another a
"must have" for a technical writer?

Thanks for your time,

Tom Eagles
Communications Coordinator