Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Niki Dow <NikiDow -at- RINGWOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:06:50 -0000

I'm not sure where the "private" thing came from, but there is an
alternative - DocuTools. Check out http://www.ptaonline,com

Although not dissimilar to IM, I prefer DocuTools - it's easier to
understand. Applying the structured writing methodology to all my work
makes it much easier to keep the most important principle of writing
uppermost in my mind, namely, "Meet the needs of your reader".

This methodology gives me a solid way of identifying my target audience, to
identify what they NEED to know (not what I think they need to know) and to
write in such a way that meets the readers' requirements. I don't write
anything now that isn't structured - even stuff that's used in-house only.
As a case in point, my manager recently asked me to give him a run down on
how "this structured writing thing works" because a report I wrote was one
of the first things he's understood in ages without having to read it twice!

Regards,
Niki

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=