Re: Results: PC vs Mac

Subject: Re: Results: PC vs Mac
From: Bruce Conway <bconway -at- ISLAND -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:20:20 +0000

Actually, the PC is not cheaper. Comparable Macs and PCs (OK, PC's -
note the Chicago Style Manual apostrophe there) are about the same in
price.

More software? You'll have to look at the studies. In 1993, for
example, there were twice as many Mac software titles as for Windows (in
all categories? overall? not sure....). I've heard this argument many
times. I've also seen the quality of PC software versus Mac software.

Another major category: About 65% of *** WEB DEVELOPMENT *** is
done on Macintoshes.

Another interesting fact: There are about 5,000 known viruses on the
PC. Only about 50 on the Mac.

Remember, VHS outnumbers BETA. But, which has better picture quality,
and which do the professionals use?

*********************

Emily Davidson wrote:

> Well, the results are in and the consensus (almost unanimous) was this:
>
> PC: cheaper, more software, and much more proliferate than the Mac in
> the business world in general. Most writers used one.
>
> Mac: better for layout and graphics. Used almost exclusively by
> people working in these fields.
>
> However, most people also agreed that the most important thing is to
> learn the software, and then it isn't hard to switch from one
> operating system to the other.
>
> This is probably stuff most of you already knew (judging by the kind
> of response I got), but thank you for helping me out.
>
> Emily Davidson
> emilyfisher -at- yahoo -dot- com

> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Bruce Conway, B.A. (Math/Pol Sci) - Tech Writer/Communicator

Member:
Society for Technical Communication (STC)
Vancouver Island Adv. Technology Centre
(VIATeC)

RESUME: http://www.island.net/~bconway/resume.html
Email : bconway -at- island -dot- net