Temporary Work at MicroSoft

Subject: Temporary Work at MicroSoft
From: Tom Campbell <tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:19:37 -0700

Bob,
Thanks for the link to the ABC News article about the lawsuit by the Microsoft "permatemps." I wonder, have these people been getting the same hourly pay as their full-time counterparts? If they've been getting paid more per hour, that should be factored into the decision.

I don't know how it is at Microsoft, but here in the Atlanta job market I'm able to make a higher hourly rate as an agency contractor than I've ever been able to make as a full-time employee. Even after paying for my own benefits and time off, I come out ahead. (And those who work as independent contractors do even better on average.)

But if I'd been working for years alongside "captive" employees who were retiring at age 40 to start theater companies, etc., supported by their million-dollar Microsoft stock plans, I might feel a little ripped off, too.

---
Tom Campbell
tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM
"It's as large as life