Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: John Cornellier <cornelli -at- CLAMART -dot- SRPC -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:50:04 +0100

>Why is there a need for paper doc. to be shipped with a software product?

Short answer: Because we've always done it that way.

Long answer: People like books. Just look at the, er, semiotics: to be
"bookish", Gatsby and his uncut books, swearing on a bible, Shakespeare's
Quartos (Shakespeare's collected emails? I don't think so), to "throw the
book" at someone, to be in someone's "good books", etc. In other words,
books have a huge positive symbolic value.

I don't think I've ever heard any complaints about Windows having virtually
no paper documentation. Yet there's sure a market for tomes filled with
white space and screenshots. (The bewildered consumer, feeling helpless and
faced with a choice of otherwise identical books, takes the thickest one.)

A trivial snag to PDF usage is the A4/USLetter issue.

John "My Other Car's a Bookmobile" Cornellier
Paris

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=