Re: Comments from the field (rather long)

Subject: Re: Comments from the field (rather long)
From: Drew Krause <dkrause -at- NETSIDE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:45:55 -0500

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Sella Rush wrote:

> I've lately been having to learn a lot of technical information in a very
> short time. On all different types of subjects, mostly about web design,
> scripting, ASP, and database stuff. Although I'd never bought one before,
> I'm finding myself picking up the Dummies or Idiots books. I *know* these
> aren't going to stump me. Maybe they don't have all the information I'll
> ever need, maybe they don't present exactly the image I'd like when I'm
> waiting for my bus. But they will get me started, they will give me the
> basics and won't make assumptions about what I do and don't know. Maybe
> some of the info is ultra basic, but that just gives me the opportunity to
> feel superior. Works for me.

...to each his/her own. My take on these texts is that they're pretty
useless by the second week, good for getting started and nothing else.

The ideal for me would be to take the introductory information, skip the
cartoons and chatty prose, and put it in the first two chapters of a book
that would dig a bit deeper--including perhaps more reference materials,
so that my curiosity could be rewarded along with my humility :)

Drew Krause

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=