Re: PC words and tech writing

Subject: Re: PC words and tech writing
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:23:00 -0500

On 12/11/98 11:51 AM, Gutierrez, Diane (Diane -dot- Gutierrez -at- WESTGROUP -dot- COM)
wrote:

>I have long wondered about this: politically correct words may not match
>words in current medical or scientific usage. Is the trend changing in this
>area also, despite some diehard authors insisting on the old terminology?
>Example: deaf-mute, deaf-mutism, (medical term for early hearing impairment
>in excess of 85 db ISO) as opposed to: deaf, hearing-impaired(the general
>PC usage).
>Other terms that could be questioned: Negro, Negroid
>(anthropology/archaeology/pathology); retarded
>(psychometrics/engineering/medicine); tainted, blighted
>(genetics/botany/cytology).

I don't think the question is relevant, except in that it may create a
heated thread about political correctness. If you are writing for the
scientific community, use the current, standard language for the
audience. If you are writing for a lay audience, use the current,
standard language for the audience. (See the trend?)

Wow, that was a short thread...

----->Mike

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=