fire guide

Subject: fire guide
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 13:02:57 -0700

David Dick asked how to structure a user guide for building fire prevention/fighting stuff.

The usual questions -
Who's going to be reading this document?
When will they read it - during training, during a fire, two days before annual review...?
Why will they read it?
What questions does the document answer?

The best approach I've found is to list all the questions your audience is asking, then order the questions. Be sure to include the questions you want them to ask. Only then do I start filling in content. It is often useful to make the questions explicit, as section headings. For example, "Where are fire extinguishers located?" <Section head> "First floor" <sub-head> and so on.

Then test the outline with perhaps one or two sentences in each section to see if an actual user can do what they need to do with it.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Pax,
Miki
mikim -at- ieee -dot- org

Boycott xma$ - celebrate a non-commercial holy day!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000