Diagramming Sentences

Subject: Diagramming Sentences
From: Michael Gos <mgos -at- LEE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:21:16 -0600

Actually, I believe diagramming sentences has gone the way of the dinosaur,
not so much because it was unpleasant, but rather, because the sentence
trees used in Chomsky's Generative Grammar are so much more useful. The
allow us to remove all structural ambiguity and always terminate in the
completed sentences.

Because they "parse" the sentence in a useful way, they are the choice of
most people who need this type of tool (those working in Natural Language
Processing environments, for example). From what I can tell, my students
love doing it. I never met a student who claimed to love diagramming.
Dr. Michael W. Gos
Department of English and Communications
Lee College
Baytown, Texas 77522
"The world sure looks different from the shade of the Gumbo Limbo."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=