Re: HTML & CSS

Subject: Re: HTML & CSS
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:19:59 -0600

If it isn't being implemented, why not? Because it's too easy to
create template docs in the HTML generator tools? Lack of support for
CSS in HTML editors? People aren't willing to invest the time in the
long-term benefits of CSS in a fast-changing environment? Has anyone
considered CSS and opted not to implement?

Here.

When a substantial portion of the browsers used by my customers supports
CSS, I'll revisit the decision. Right now, *no* browser completely supports
it, so it's purely academic interest to me. CSS looks good, but to adopt it
now would simply mean increasing my workload, as I'd have to also build in
support for non-CSS browsers. In a few more years, perhaps, CSS will be
more widely adopted and I'll move towards it. Right now the benefits it
gives me are far outweighed by the extra work it would put me to.

It looks like Netscape will be the first to fully support it, as the 5.0
versions of MSIE still show no intention of providing complete support. The
ball is in AOL's court; they can deliver a browser that winds up the
darling of the WSP, or they can consign Netscape to irrelevancy.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=